Dear Parent/Person with Parental Responsibility,
As we approach the start of the examination season I would like to take this opportunity to inform you of how the College has and will continue to support your child during this stressful time.
Over the course of this academic year many strategies have been put in place to support each student with regards revision and preparation for public examinations. The College has invested both time and money to ensure that each student achieves their personal best. I would like to share some of the positive strategies that have been implemented and made available to your child.
· Visits by Head of Year and Head of School to support form classes with revision strategies.
· Study skills event.
· Careers/Options event to assist students in making informed decisions for their choices for next year.
· Individual discussions with Careers staff and Head of School upon return of choices sheets to ensure students have fully considered all choices.
· Learning mentor for those needing extra assistance regarding study.
· School funding for repeat examinations at great expense to the school.
· After school revision classes for various subjects.
· Silent study after school from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. Monday to Thursday from 19th March.
As you can see there have been many support strategies put in place throughout this academic year and it is imperative at this stage that each student takes ownership for their personal study plan. It is vital that students adopt a methodical approach to study, that they dedicate sufficient time and energy to every subject and that they take heed of the importance of these public examinations. The importance of parental support cannot be underestimated and I urge you to continue to encourage your child to give of their best.
An individual examination timetable will be issued to your child at the beginning of May. This will include details of the date, time and location in the college of their examination. Your child has also been provided with instructions regarding their attendance for the exams and I would be grateful if you would discuss them with your son/daughter.
In order to give our students the best opportunity to achieve success in these examinations, it has been decided that formal school timetable arrangements for year 12 will continue for all subjects until the date of the subject examination. Once a subject exam has taken place then students will be able to continue with their revision for future examinations during their timetabled classes in school. This will ensure that students remain on task for the duration of the examination period and will also give them access to their teachers and the facilities available in Holy Cross College until all of their examinations are completed.
May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support throughout this year and may I wish your child every success in their forthcoming examinations.
Mr D McWilliams
Head of Year 12